Daniel

>> July 24, 2009



On the day of the first medical clinic I found this guy standing in front of the church looking pretty distraught. I greeted him and was surprised at how well he spoke English. He was asking many questions about America and he shared his desire to one day come and visit. He appeared to forget about whatever was bugging him. He told me about his education at a Christian school and his desire to go to Bible college. I wish I could recall his name, but for now I'll call him Daniel.

He seemed healthy so I asked him what brought him to the clinic that day. Daniel told me he was there to pick up medications for his mom. I knew that people had to be prescribed by the clinic to get medication so I told him his mother must come to get it. I could see the pain in his eyes as he told me his mother was too ill to come that day, almost breaking into tears.

I immediately approached Scott, our wonderful missionary host, and explained the situation. He asked the pastor of the local church, who was beside him, if he has seen Daniel around before. The pastor said he had not. Nobody could vouch for him.

Scott approached Daniel and asked if the mother could ride a boda boda to the clinic. Boda boda's are the motorcycle taxi's that can take you almost anywhere for 1,000 shillings a.k.a. 50 cents. In fact, here's a shot of Bruce and me on a couple. (The guy is laughing because I am probably the biggest person he"s ever had on his bike.)


So Scott handed Daniel 2,000 shillings and told him to get a boda boda to pick his mom up, then to bring her to the clinic. As Daniel ran off we couldn't help but wonder if we would see him again. 2,000 shillings is almost a half a days wages in Uganda. I love how Scott responded when asked if he thought Daniel would come back, he said, "either way..... he is blessed."



Nearly an hour later, when I wasn't even thinking about it anymore. Daniel rushed up to me and with excitement told me that he had brought his mother. We brought her to the nurses right away to be looked at.



I could tell that Daniel was very proud that we had faith in him and he was able to prove himself to us. I think there is a great lesson for those of us who are too skeptical at times to give to those who show need.



Before he left, Daniel wanted so badly to have some sort of remembrance of me. He wanted a picture to take home. I really wish I had a polaroid camera because all I could do was show the small screen of my digital camera. So, even though he doesn't have access to a computer or internet, this post is for Daniel, hoping he may come across it one day.

2 comments:

Scott July 25, 2009 at 8:56 AM  

Hola Sarah y Jordan,

I was happy to hear about your job opportunity in Spain...I know some of the professors from the program. I also loved the stories from Uganda. God bless you guys as you move and experience new things in Sevilla. We actually spent the summer in Brazil.
You can check out our blog if you'd like:

http://fotoesperanca.wordpress.com/

Take care, and God bless you two,

Scott (Professor Bennett from APU)

P.S. Just a quick note, being the mean Spanish prof: it's "aventuras," no "d"

CuĂ­dense mucho..

Happynhanford July 25, 2009 at 12:29 PM  

Really enjoyed this story of friendship and faith. God's blessings to both of you! I will pray for Daniel's mom as well. Thanks for sharing!
Mimi to Bee

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP